Sunday, October 18, 2015

Stephen Glass repays Harpers $10,000 for his discredited work

Stephen Glass, recently sent Harper’s Magazine a check for $10,000 as repayment for a discredited article he had published there in 1998, and also stated his plans to repay other publications that ran his fabricated work.

    “I want to make right that part of my many transgressions,” he wrote in a letter to current and former magazine employees. “I recognize that repaying Harper’s will not remedy my wrongdoing, make us even, or undo what I did wrong. That said, I did not deserve the money that Harper’s paid me and it should be returned.”

Mr. Glass wrote that he had “a vague memory that the magazine paid me approximately $5,000 to $7,000,” and that he hoped $10,000 would

    “repay the magazine with interest.”

Giulia Melucci, a spokeswoman for Harper’s, said that Mr. Glass had sent at least one previous letter of apology to the magazine.

She said that the magazine’s publisher, John R. MacArthur, has been asked more than once to vouch for Mr. Glass as a candidate for admission to the California bar.

Lets know what you think by leaving a comment.

No comments: